What is Landscaping?
Landscaping in Lee’s Summit means something entirely different than landscaping in Orlando! So, what is landscaping to a Missouri resident? Glad you asked because the Evolving Landscapes team has nearly 20 years of landscaping experience near Kansas City and there’s nothing we like more than talking about the importance of landscaping!
Here, we’ll get into:
- Gardening vs landscaping
- What landscapers do
- Types of landscaping
What is the difference between gardening and landscaping?
Landscaping tends to be a catch-all term to include gardening, landscape design, and landscape architecture. And while they all enhance the exterior of a home or building, they are definitely not the same.
We covered the difference between landscape design and landscape architecture in a previous post, so here we’ll outline the generally accepted differences between gardening and landscaping.
|Done by professionals; companies
|Done by hobbyists; passionate individuals
|May involve plants, irrigation systems, drainage strategies, lighting, sculptures, fencing, and hardscaping (i.e. retaining walls, water features, pathways, pavement, patios)
|Typically involves only plants
|Considers the total or partial exterior
|Considers a particular plot or beds
|Follows a design based on horticultural knowledge and training
|Follows a design based on instinct and personal experience
|Often obviously structured and organized
|Often more natural look; improvised
|Guarantees success through best practices
|Risks losing money through trial and error
|Improves property value
|May improve property value
|Does not typically include edibles
|Often includes fruits and vegetables
What do landscapers do?
A landscape designer partners with a homeowner to fulfill their vision for their front and/or backyard. At Evolving Landscapes, we:
- Listen – First, we ask pertinent questions in order to learn how a homeowner intends to use their outdoor space and how they want the final look to feel.
- Analyze – We then apply our horticultural education to holistically assess the space, including soil condition, erosion patterns, flood potential, and sun vs shade.
- Plan – With the homeowner’s budget in mind, we strategically develop a plan that incorporates landscaping and, potentially, hardscaping to fulfill the homeowner’s needs.
- Design – Next, we custom-create a design that takes the Missouri climate into account and satisfies the homeowner in the short and long term.
- Execute – Finally, our team installs the design. It may take days or weeks, depending on the scope of the work and the Kansas City weather! Should time or budget constraints require, we can break a larger-scale project into phases.
What are landscaping services?
We’ve established the definition of a landscape designer versus a gardener, described what a good landscape designer does, and so now let’s consider different landscaping services.
At Evolving Landscapes, we primarily offer:
Landscape Design & Installation
Our custom-created designs take into account the health and vitality of your property, and your family. We are mindful to implement landscape designs that:
- Promote organically rich soil
- Cultivate growing environments for optimal plant health
- Naturally, bolster resistance to pests (a boon for plants and humans!)
- Enhance your quality of outdoor life
- Beautify your home
- Increase your property value
Retaining Walls & Hardscapes
There is a right way and a wrong way to design and install retaining walls and hardscapes, especially in places like Lee’s Summit where weather conditions vary widely from season to season. All Evolving Landscapes hardscaping professionals are certified by the National Concrete and Masonry Association. Most frequently, we install:
- Retaining walls
- Pavers and flagstone
- Outdoor kitchen elements
High-quality, professionally-designed landscape designs are intentionally implemented to require minimal maintenance. But, of course, plants grow when the weather is favorable, and need attention when the seasons turn.
Landscaping maintenance offered at Evolving Landscapes includes:
- Spring and Fall cleanup
- Pruning bushes
- Hedge trimming
- Leaf removal
How can the Evolving Landscapes team help you achieve the property of your dreams? Connect with us, and we’ll get your free consultation on the books!